At Rest
Home The Family of Marie Tracing Our Family Roots Fetterman Pics Centralia PA Remembered Back to fettermans.org


William Fetterman
January 16, 1843 - April 16, 1906

Catharine Lewis Fetterman
February 12, 1854 - October 29, 1916

St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery, Numidia, PA

Catharine Lewis and William Fetterman

William, son of Mary Ann Berninger and Jonas Fetterman, was born in Numidia, Locust Township, Columbia County, PA. In August 1862, he enlisted as a private in the Union Army in Company H, 132nd Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infanty, where he served for nine months. During that time, he participated in the battles of Antietam on September 17, 1862; Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862; and Chancellorsville on May 2 and 3, 1863.

On October 21, 1873, he married Catharine Lewis. In 1880, the census shows that they were living in Montour Township, Columbia County, PA, where he was working at that time as a lime burner. After the death of his father, they then moved to Numidia, where he took up farming the same property his father had owned.

Of this marriage, four daughters were born:

  1. Lizzie, born August 12, 1874;
  2. Nola M., born March 5, 1880;
  3. Hattie Maud, born October 29, 1884; and
  4. Carrie Ella, born January 2, 1888.

On the morning of his death, William, who was known as “Big Bill,” went out to the barn to tend the horses. Feeling ill, the doctor was summoned but found nothing wrong. They chatted and laughed, and the doctor then left. Later that morning, he was strickened with a heart attack and expired before the doctor could arrive. His funeral was attended by a very large group of people, and three pastors officiated in the funeral service: Rev. Netman of Elmer; Rev. Weksel of Leacock, Lancaster County; and Rev. Wahrman of Numidia (Democratic Sentinel, April 20, 1906).

After her husband’s death, Catharine moved to Rupert. She was a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Numidia and the Ladie’s Aid Society, and she died after a lengthy illness with diabetes. Her funeral was officiated by Rev. Mr. Masser of the Lutheran church in Numidia and the Rev. John Knittle, pastor of the Rupert Methodist Church (Morning Press, November 1, 1916).

Picture documented on June 27, 2003.